If you are just starting to monetize your website and wondering how to use AdSense, you came to the right place. The following tutorial contains a detailed explanation on how to create a new AdSense banner to use it on your website. It also contains detailed explanation and best practices for all the options. Let’s get started!
Create a new ad unit in Google AdSense
The very first step to create a new ad unit in your AdSense account is to click on the button New ad unit which is located under the tab My ads on the Ad units page.
Then you have to give your ad unit a name. I’d suggest that the name helps you to remember exactly what this ad unit is about and where you place it on your website. I use the following form while giving a name to the ad unit:
website | placement | ad format
webgilde.com | below main menu | medium rectangle
The first part is the name of the website, of course you can skip this if you have only one website. The second part of the name describes where you place the ad unit. And finally the third part of the name is the ad format or ad size you chose for this ad unit (Leaderboard, Medium Rectangle etc.).
Choose the right ad size
The next step is to choose an appropriate ad size. Click on the field Showing and choose one of the following options: Recommended, Horizontal banner, Vertical banner, Rectangular, Responsive, Custom size or Link ads.
- Recommended – lists several ad sizes recommended by AdSense. It is the collection of the ad sizes that potentially earn you the most.
- Horizontal Banner – the recommended banners in this group are Leaderboard and Large Mobile Banner.
- Vertical Banner – the recommended banner in this group is the Large Skyscraper.
- Rectangular – there are two recommended rectangles in this group: Large and Medium Rectangle.
- Responsive – there is just one option in this group. If you choose it, the ad unit will automatically adapt its size to fit your page layout. You can use this ad size for both responsive and non-responsive sites.
- Custom Size – here you can define a specific width and height for the new banner. However you should know that if you use this option for the ad unit it will have a limited number of display ads available, especially if standard sizes don’t fit into it. As a result, you can earn less using this ad size.
- Link Ads – choose one of the offered options. The link ad units display a list of topics that are relevant to the content of your page and to the interests of your visitors. You are paid only when the visitors click on that link first and then on an ad on a page with the direct ads. AdSense allows you to integrate up to three link ad units into each page, in addition to the three content ad banners.
Choose the ad type
The third step is to choose an appropriate ad type. There are two ad types that can appear on your website: display and textual ads. You can choose one of the following options:
- Text & display ads – the recommendation is to choose this option so that both ad types can appear on your website.
- Display ads only – only the display ads (e.g., images, rich media) can appear on your website.
- Text ads only – only the textual ads can appear on your website.
- Matched content – you will have this option only if you own websites approved for matched content unit. To be approved your website needs to meet minimum requirements for traffic volume and number of unique pages. This ad unit is a free recommendation tool that offers you an easy way to promote your articles to your visitors. Using the matched content unit you have a possibility to increase the user loyalty, time spent on your website, page views, which might lead to more ad impressions and an increase of your ad revenue. This ad unit does not count towards your ad unit limit per page.
- If you chose the Link Ads in the previous step, the ad type will be automatically set to the Links ads only.
How to set up Text ad style
The next step allows you to set the look of the textual ads on your website.
If you are new to AdSense, I would recommend to not spend too much time on over-optimization here and rather make split test of different layouts later.
In the section Text ad style you can:
- Choose one of the predefined ad styles: Default, Colorful, Dark blue reverse, Minimalist, Neon and others. In the space below the list you can see how these ad styles will look. Use one of them if you are less experienced with AdSense.
- Create your own ad style by clicking the button Create ad style. If you choose this option you should select a style name, border colors, title, background, text, URL and font family. The recommended choice for the font family is optimal.
I am currently running some A/B tests since we got the recommendation from AdSense to change font family to optimal for two ad units. They predict an increase of our weekly earnings by up to 10 % if we make this change. I am really curious to find out if this is really going to happen.
- Create your own ad style by choosing a predefined ad style and edit it. To do this you should choose an appropriate predefined ad style and then click on the button Copy and edit. The procedure that follows is the same as when you want to create your own ad style.
With custom channels you can group the ad units on your website. For example you can create groups of medium rectangles or one for ad units that you run just on mobile or desktop devices.
You can also create a group of ad units that are integrated on some particular location on your website. Using custom channels you can easily track the performance of these ad groups. For example, you can later check how much you earn from the ads that are integrated on either the mobile or desktop version of your website, if you use different ad units on them.
To create a custom channel, click on the button Create new custom channel, give it some associative name and add to it all of the ad units that you want. Now save it.
When you later create a new ad unit which you want to place in the same group then just select this custom channel in the appropriate option. You can create up to 500 custom channels.
Using backup ads
In the Backup ads section you can define what should show on your website if there are no targeted ads available. This way you will ensure that your advertising space is always being used efficiently.
Note: AdSense has fill rates very close to 100%, so in most cases putting much work into this option is not worth it.
You can choose one of the following options:
- Show blank space – this is a default option.
- Show other ads from another URL – there are two option here.
You can use any static image as your backup ad by entering the URL of the image in the text box. The image should be of the same size as the ad format.
You can use an HTML page as a backup ad. This option is very useful if you want to use clickable images as your backup ads. Visit the AdSense help page to learn more about this option.
- Fill space with a solid color – choose the color you want to show in place of the ad unit.
Generate the code
The last step in your AdSense account is to generate the ad code. After choosing the options like described above you need to click on the button Save and get code:
Copy the generated ad code from the appearing window and paste it to the position on your website where you want to integrate this ad unit.
Did you find this article helpful? If you have some remarks or additional questions do not hesitate to leave a comment below.